Saturday, January 24, 2009

Scribble Soup for Writers' Block # 50: childhood

Growing up, my parents would make me eat everything off the plate. "There are people starving around the world". I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I'd eaten everything. Consequently as an adult I have a tendency to overeat, because I've grown up with the mentality that you have to clean your plate. I feel guilty, if I throw food away. The guilt is increased ten fold if I throw away meat, after all an animal gave up its life to feed me. Now I don't tend to eat much meat at all (but I'm still a long way from being vegetarian).

Of course growing up in a culture, where family gatherings were the norm, where there was always an excess of food. I've gotten in the habit of cooking only large portions (my eyes are bigger than my stomach). So I'm eating huge amounts of food with every meal (I don't like eating left overs the next day). Needless to say, I'm no longer a size 6.

Scribblesoup prompt

No comments:

Post a Comment